Using wood for heating can significantly reduce our use of fossil fuels while also reducing our CO2 emissions. A few notes here to keep your wood burning stove happy!
When logs are burned in an efficient, clean-burning wood stove, the solar energy stored in the tree is used to heat your home. Considering the whole fuel cycle, a wood stove will heat your home more efficiently and with lower environmental impact than any other fuel option.
A wood stove does not contribute to global warming as only the carbon dioxide would have been released by the forest itself. Using wood for heat means fewer fossil fuels burned, less greenhouse gas emissions, and a healthier environment.
Using an efficient wood stove with correctly seasoned logs is a very economical way to heat your home
- Wood is a sustainable energy source which helps to reduce your carbon footprint and greenhouse gases.
- Wood smoke contains very little sulphur dioxide & nitrous oxides which means acid rain is not produced by burning logs.
- The amount of carbon dioxide released when burning logs in a wood stove is no more than it would be if the logs had been left to rot.
- Its also good to know that burning dry seasoned logs produces very little ash compared with coal, resulting in less work!
- Wood ash is also a great garden fertiliser due to its high potash content too!
- Burning logs supports your local community..unlike your gas or electricity bills!
Using the correct logs is good for your wood burner and saves money
- The need to use the correct logs in your stove cannot be emphasised enough.When cut, wood has around 50% moisture content. This needs to be reduced to 20-30% for the logs to burn well.
- Unseasoned wood creates lots of smoke and tars which may damage your chimney liner. It will also need to be swept more often.
- Logs should be cut and stacked outside, ideally in an open log store where the wind can dry them nicely.
- Kiln dried logs are expensive and unnecessary as they burn far too rapidly!
- Buying seasoned logs in the summer from a reputable supplier ready for the winter is by far the best way forward. The logs will be sold drier and cheaper than in winter!
- If like many, you have a small woodburner, ask for small wood stove logs, otherwise they can be too large.
- Please contact us for a recommended supplier for quality hardwood log deliveries dependant on your location.